Sunday, April 02, 2006

Phenomenal Woman

This is a page taken from the blog of a former 100.3 The Beat DJ and producer/song writer, PJ Butta. He holds down Butta's Bootlegs and works with the Avila Brothers, a crazy talented group that both produces and sings. I was speechless when I read this. Really, what more can I say? Just read.

3.31.06 Free Dinner

Had dinner with Free (yes the Free formerly of 106 & Park and soon to be afternoon drive DJ on The Beat). We met to talk about music... not my blogs. I've always been a fan of the stuff I've heard her sing and rap on and I was curious why she didn't have an album out? I wanted to know her plans music wise. Was she gonna come out? And if she wasn't... I wanted to convince her she should.

Let me first off say Free is the most sweetest, down-to-earth, humble person you would ever meet.

Free in many ways is a lot like me and that's why we hit it off so well. Usually first encounters are weird and uncomfortable but it was like we were old friends. And she felt comfortable too because she let me hear her music... something she revealed to me that "no one has ever heard." So I was honored and privileged that she would let me hear her stuff. Cause as artists... we can become neurotic. We're perfectionists and are always looking for validation that our art is "good enough." And being a songwriter and a perfectionist I understand how she feels.

Free's music... her own material and stuff she has written is phenomenal. I told her I was mad at her because she doesn't have a record out. She is what's missing in Hip Hop... and in music. She can sing and spit. She can fill the void of Lauryn Hill and take the baton from Missy. That's how dope she is. And that's why I met with her. She is what music needs right now. And if you read my previous blogs... you know me and the Avila Brothers have been looking for that female. I think the musical marriage between her and us can be something magical. And I hope this time... she'll let the WHOLE world hear her music.

6 comments:

FunkyFresh said...

I mean, I always though Free was hot, but not really in the way she was described. I'm excited for what's to come with her music because the Avila Brothers' music is ridiculous.

FunkyFresh said...

*I meant to say "thought" before, but anyway.....

I'm not sure about the Murder Inc. rumors. They could be just that, rumors. But it looks like Free is actually signed to a major label. The question is, which one?

I don't think the Avila Brothers have a record company, but I'll check. As far as I know, they only produce and sing.

FunkyFresh said...

Okay, I checked and PJ Butta and the Avila Brothers do have a record label: ABX/Universal.

Anonymous said...

UH OH, My gurl Free comin for that azz. LOL!!! Don't wanna get my hopes up too soon, but I'm waiting for Free to drop that album.
I'm also still waiting for that commercial. No luck yet, FunkyFresh?

Anonymous said...

she need to hurry up and drop so she can shame all the haters who doubted her because of her age...age aint nothing but a number. but i hope she do it big for 06...well we know if she bring out a video it want be on b.e.t. but mtv better.

Anonymous said...

i was listening to the 100.3 tha beat radio and it is official free will be on the radio at 3 to 7...dont miss it...april 10